Green Business Certification
When it comes to conservation at Aquarium of the Bay, we feel that it is important to walk the talk; we continually seek to improve our sustainability efforts with the help of our staff and guests. Aquarium of the Bay is one of the few certified green businesses on Pier 39. Aquarium of the Bay was certified as a San Francisco Green Business in 2005, and completed recertification processes in 2010 and 2013. We maintain our Green Business status through periodic reviews of our recycling and composting (“zero waste”) practices, hazardous waste removal, water consumption, and energy conservation.
The goal of the San Francisco Green Business Program, which was launched in 2004, is to achieve a healthier and cleaner environment by helping businesses integrate environmental responsibility into their operations in a manner that is sustainable as well as profitable. San Francisco Green Businesses meet many high environmental standards, and are recognized by the City and County of San Francisco for their achievements.
Here are some examples of our “green” projects and accomplishments:
- Removal of plastic water bottles, and installation of a reusable water bottle filling station and water fountain in our gift store
- Energy conservation by replacing old light fixtures with lower-energy bulbs; working with our local energy utility on an energy audit; and joining a local energy grid demand-response program
- Water conservation by installing low-flow faucets and toilets throughout the building
- Waste diversion – or keeping trash from the landfill – through recycling, composting, e-waste drives, and collection and proper recycling or disposal of miscellaneous items such as batteries and plastic bags/ film.
- Leading annual Earth Day and World Ocean Day beach clean-ups along Aquatic Park – now with our divers cleaning up underwater too!
- Formation of a staff Green Team that works to continue and improve on our sustainability practices throughout the Aquarium
To find out about and support other local green businesses, or for information on how your business can be certified "green," visit the San Francisco Green Business website.