Assistant Finance Manager
The Assistant Controller is a full-time, exempt position with competitive benefits. This position is responsible for supporting the Controller in managing the general accounting and reporting functions, including accounts payable, receivables, fixed assets, payroll and budgeting.
The position reports to the Controller.
• Adhere to policies, procedures and internal control measures to safeguard assets and prevent fraud.
• Conduct month-end closings, balance sheet reconciliation and ensure all accounts are properly reconciled.
• Prepare and communicate timely monthly financial statements to all departments.
• Supervise bank accounts, cash flow analysis and all bank reconciliations.
• Work closely with Controller and other departments to ensure good accounting practices and procedures are being followed.
• Audit Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Journal Entry transactions.
• Review and analyze various insurance policies and payments including deferrals & accruals.
• Assist with management and supervision of finance team
• Assist payroll manager with review of biweekly payroll processing and payroll reporting/reconciliations
• Assist Controller on day to day operations.
• Manage and track restricted grants and donation financials and spending, and assist with grant proposal budget preparations, as necessary.
• Assist with preparation of annual budgets, forecasting and variance analysis.
• Prepare year-end reconciliations and assist with the annual financial audit.
• Work on special projects and/or ad hoc analysis.
• Other duties as assigned
- • A manager with integrity and an entrepreneurial “can do” attitude
- • Decisive and resourceful, accountable and responsible to all you work with internally and externally
- • A macro-thinker with the ability to be detail-oriented
- • Proactive and confident with fiscal prudence
- • Calm and constructive day-to-day as well as during crisis and change
- • Results-driven, reliable, emotionally mature, team player, energetic
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- • Strong interpersonal skills, an ability to work well with a wide variety of people in a team setting
- • Excellent communication, writing, inter-personal, and presentation skills
- • Strong affinity for conservation and environmental issues
- • Proven effective and efficient project management skills
- • Strong analytic and quantitative skills in conjunction with accounting background
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- • Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- • 3-5 years of accounting and management experience
- • Technical skills and experience in financial reporting and consolidation and non-profit accounting
- • Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook and more
- • Knowledge of GAAP — Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and correspondence. Ability to write and present engaging science programs. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The position requires frequent visits to the exhibit areas (walking on concrete floors, climbing stairs), extensive time standing, intervals of time outdoors in varying environmental conditions, tolerance of high levels of noise, and extensive public speaking, sometimes in noisy environments. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please first visit and thoroughly explore our website: aquariumofthebay.com. Then submit cover letter and resume via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and “Assistant Controller” in the subject line, and submit a cover letter and resume as separate attachments. No phone calls, please.