Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the physical address to the aquarium?
PIER 39, The Embarcadero and Beach Street, San Francisco, CA 94133
Directions to aquarium from:
Oakland/East Bay via Bay Bridge – TOLL ROAD
- I-80 West, take Exit 2B Harrison St/Embarcadero, Right turn onto Harrison, Left onto Embarcadero
Marin/North Bay via Golden Gate Bridge – TOLL ROAD
- HWY 101 South, Exit Marina Blvd/Girard Rd, left onto Girard Rd/Marina Blvd, Left onto Bay Street, Left onto Mason Street, Right onto North Point, Left onto Grant Avenue
San Jose/South Bay/Peninsula
- VIA 101 North, Exit Fourth Street, Merge onto Bryant Street, Left onto Embarcadero
- VIA 280 North, Exit King Street/Embarcadero
- Get off train at Embarcadero Station, go to ground level exiting tunnel toward Drumm Street or Spear Street @ street level. Walk to Market Street & Main Street and transfer to the MUNI F-Market Street Car
What forms of payment do you take?
The following payments are accepted:
- Credit card – Visa, Mastercard, American Express, & Discover
- AliPay & WeChat
- ATM located in our PIER 39 retail store
Do you have a parking lot?
Do you hold luggage or have stroller storage?
Unfortunately, we do not provide storage for personal items. This includes items for groups and class field trips. We advise to check with the San Francisco Welcome Center located on the 2nd floor of PIER 39 on the West side
Is the aquarium accessible via wheelchair?
The aquarium is mostly accessible
- Behind the Scenes and Feed the Sharks Experiences: Accommodations can be made for standard-size wheelchairs (Must check with Operations 415.623.5333)
- We have wheelchairs to use during your time at the aquarium, first come first serve, photo ID held during the use of the wheelchair
Are you animal friendly?
Unfortunately, animals are not allowed on PIER 39, with the exception of Service Animals
How long does it take to go through the entire aquarium?
- Generally walking through at an average pace, seeing all exhibits, it takes about 90 minutes.
- Scheduled presentations can extend 10-20 minutes
- We currently allow in and out privileges to paid customers during our open hours of operation
NOTE: Due to Covid-19 in and out privileges are based on availability and cannot be guaranteed please speak with the front desk for any questions.
What kind of ticket types do you accept?
Print at-home tickets. E-vouchers. Third Party Paper & E-Vouchers
Can I visit the Aquarium using San Francisco CityPASS?
Yes, Aquarium of the Bay is part of CityPASS. Save 44% on admission to the top 4 San Francisco attractions. Purchase CityPASS online for immediate delivery to your mobile device. Learn more about CityPASS
What is your refund policy?
Must contact a Guest Services Supervisor to approve and process returns (415.623.5333)
**Due to the shelter in place order please email email@example.com for any refund requests**
Do you allow food & drink in the aquarium?
Closed lid drinks are allowed. Food is not allowed
Do you allow Groups (10+ Guests)
LOCAL – School Field Trips (during the school year from 9 Bay Area Counties)
- Contact Education Assistant Manager, Mayra Rivas (415.623.5376)
Non-local School Groups (after school programs, outside of Bay Area & school year) AND all non-school groups, Tour & Travel, foreign and domestic groups
- Contact Groups Sales Manager, Neha Prakash (415.623.5313)
Do you provide information in other languages?
Foreign Language Audio Tours
- There are special QR Codes throughout the aquarium that you can scan with your personal phone or tablet.
- English, French, Italian, German, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin & Spanish
Can you host special events?
Birthday parties, corporate luncheons, etc.
- 3 weeks in advance notice needed
- Contact Sales and Events (415.623.5313)
Do you have a membership program?
Yes, our annual membership includes:
- Unlimited admission for one year
- Invitation to discounted exclusive events, tours, lectures, and more
- Eco-Current Newsletter (Mailed Quarterly)
- 25% savings on tickets for guests
- 10% discount in Aquarium gift shop
- We are an AZA reciprocal program – purchase on-site only
You can upgrade your General Admission tickets purchased on-site only, to a membership (we are currently unable to upgrade tickets purchased through a third-party vendor)
- Individual $99 – Unlimited admission for one adult and one guest for one year (Military & Student discounts with valid ID $70)
- Family $140 – Unlimited admission for two adults and two children for one year
- Family PLUS $165 – Unlimited admission for two adults, two children and a flexible guest for one year
- Ocean Advocate $5,000 and up – Family PLUS membership, volunteer day for up to 25 guests, recognition in our annual report